FYI — CREDO released the following statement after Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s weekly press conference, where she said Trump’s treatment of immigrants, refugees, trans and other LGBTQ people were election issues, not impeachment issues. CREDO Action has been on the leading edge of pushing Speaker Pelosi on impeachment, take a look below for more info on our work.
“The way Donald Trump and his administration terrorizes immigrants, communities of color, LGBTQ people and others should absolutely play a part in his impeachment,” said CREDO Action campaign manager Thaís Marques. “Multiple federal judges have declared his policies ‘unlawful,’ but he doubles down on these cruel, racist policies in order to spread fear and hatred so that he may stay in power.
“The scope of the articles of impeachment must encompass all of Trump’s crimes and impeachable offenses, not just Ukraine,” she continued. “Otherwise, the House will send a message to future presidents that it’s acceptable to try to legalize bigotry. If Speaker Pelosi doesn’t include all of Trump’s crimes in the impeachment process, she is complicit with his acts of oppression.”
More on CREDO’s organizing on impeachment:
CREDO has been calling for Trump’s impeachment for more than a year.
- We issued a report outlining how there is constitutional grounds for Trump’s racist abuses to also be impeachable offenses, in cooperation with Free Speech for People, By the People, and Equal Justice Society.
- We recently joined with nearly a dozen grassroots groups to launch ImpeachNow.org, to organize our millions of members nationwide to ask their members of Congress about impeaching Donald Trump immediately during the October recess.
- In recent months, we have ramped up our activism with protests in New York, San Francisco, and Washington, including disrupting an award ceremony honoring Speaker Nancy Pelosi in August.
- In May, we joined a coalition of progressive organizations to deliver more than 10 million petition signatures to Congress in support of impeachment.
- In June, we brought together dozens of organizations to draft and send a letter calling out Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s “dangerous inaction” on impeachment.
CREDO Action, part of CREDO Mobile, is a social change network of millions of activists, sending tens of millions of petition signatures and hundreds of thousands of phone calls to decision-makers each year. CREDO Action members also participate in meetings, protests and other direct action for progressive change.